July 8, 2021
by: Sarah Yoder, BFP Staff Writer
This classic Mediterranean dip is a great addition for any party. We’re including a basic recipe as well as a few zesty variations!
1 large eggplant
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup tahini
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil for garnish
Fresh pita, flatbread or crackers for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut eggplant in half and pierce in several places with a fork to vent.
- Place halves on a baking sheet and roast for 40–50 minutes, turning the eggplant every 10 minutes until it is soft. Allow to cool.
- Peel off and discard the skin, keeping only the flesh.
- Place the eggplant flesh in a food processor. Add the garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with olive oil.
Pomegranate & Parsley
- Add a handful of fresh parsley to the eggplant flesh mixture before blending.
- Garnish with olive oil, fresh parsley and pomegranate arils.
Zaatar & Labneh
- Substitute labheh in place of tahini.
- Add 2 teaspoons of zaatar seasoning to eggplant flesh mixture before blending.
- Garnish with olive oil and zaatar.
Chilli & Lime
- Substitute lime juice in place of lemon.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chilli powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin to eggplant flesh mixture before blending.
- Garnish with olive oil, chilli powder and red pepper flakes.
Photo Credit: Click on photo to see photo credit