by: Kate Norman
Wednesday, 15 July 2020 | In an effort to silence voices who would dare to disagree with its official anti-Israeli sovereignty policy, the Palestinian Authority (PA) has arrested several Palestinian people who said on a TV news report last month that they would support the Jewish state’s sovereignty in Judea and Samaria.
At least six Palestinian people have been arrested after a report on Israel’s Channel 13 news in June showed them expressing positive views toward Israel asserting its sovereignty in the contested biblical heartland and even hopes of receiving Israeli citizenship, according to the Israeli journalist behind the report.
The people in the report—whose faces were blurred and their voices distorted in an attempt to conceal their identity—tell journalist Tzvi Yehezkeli things like, “I want an Israeli identity card,” and that they don’t see “Israelis as enemies—their government is the enemy.”
Despite attempts to hide their identities, Palestinian security forces managed to track them down and arrest them, Yehezkeli told AFP. PA government and police officials deny the arrests, but Yehezkeli said he has been in touch with their families, one of whom confirmed that his relative had been arrested, held and was due in court soon in relation to his appearance in the report, which is damning to the Palestinian cause.
That relative, by the way, added on his approval of Israeli sovereignty in the region and said he also hopes that “Israel will give us citizenship.”
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other Israeli leaders have been pushing to apply Israeli sovereignty over Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria and the Jordan Valley, which would amount to 30% of the so-called West Bank. The other 70% of the land, under US President Donald Trump’s peace proposal for the region, would serve as part of a future demilitarized Palestinian state.
The PA preemptively rejected the plan in line with its boycott of the Trump Administration, which has been in place since Trump declared Jerusalem the capital of Israel in 2017 and subsequently moved the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
An overwhelming majority, 88%, of the Palestinian people join the PA in rejecting Trump’s peace plan, a poll from the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research revealed last month.
Not everyone buys into the official PA stance on the matter, such as these people who spoke out for the world to see. Some Palestinians, weary of corruption and a lower standard of living under the mismanagement of the PA, are evidently looking forward to an opportunity for a better life under Israel’s banner.
Unfortunately for them, the Palestinian leadership clearly does not take kindly to dissenters.
Posted on July 15, 2020
Source: (Bridges for Peace, July 15, 2020)
Photo Credit: Dickelbers/wikipedia.org
Photo License: wikipedia.org
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. All other materials are property of Bridges for Peace. Copyright © 2020.
Website Site Design by J-Town Internet Services Ltd. - Based in Jerusalem and Serving the World.