by: Itamar Eichner ~ Ynetnews
Wednesday, 27 July 2022 | Israel issued warnings to the Lebanese Hezbollah warning any attack will be answered with force, officials said on Tuesday.
The warnings were delivered using French and American diplomatic and military channels.
The Iran backed terror group was told that if it will attempt to attack the Karish gas field once again, the response from the IDF [Israel Defense Forces] will be harsh.
Hezbollah launched UAVs to the Karish rig earlier this month, which were shot down by the military.
According to the officials, the IDF has not raised its level of alert despite threats made by Hezbollah’s leader Hassan Nasrallah, on Monday.
However, in September, when the gas field will become operational, the military will reinforce the defenses around it.
Hezbollah’s secretary-general has been vocal about opposition to Israeli extraction of natural gas, which he claims is taken from oil reserves within its maritime borders, specifically the Karish gas field.
“All of Israel’s gas fields are under threat from our missiles – not just Karish,” Nasrallah said. “The ships that extract the gas are Israeli, even if under a Greek banner.”
Meanwhile, the American mediator Amos Hochstein is scheduled to arrive in Lebanon this weekend. Israel is urging the US to complete the negotiations on the maritime borders before the offshore gas field is operational but demands the Lebanese position be accepted by Hezbollah, before any agreement is signed.
Israel said an agreement is in Lebanon’s best interest and could prevent further deterioration of the crisis.
Hochstein will propose a compromise in which each party will drop half of what it is demanding, but the Karish offshore gas field will remain in Israeli waters.
The area in dispute between Israel and Lebanon is relatively small, some 860 square kilometers (322 square miles).
For Israel, the disputed territory is less than 2% of its marine economic development area, and for the Lebanese about 3%. In 2012, Israel signaled that it was ready to compromise, and divide the region in a ratio of 42:58. However, Beirut did not show any desire to accept the offer, thus no real progress has been made.
American-mediated talks have been halted and restored periodically.
Last week, [Israeli Prime Minister] Lapid and [Defense Minister] Gantz toured the Israel-Lebanon border with senior IDF commanders and security officials just a day after a Hezbollah drone was shot down after it entered Israeli territory.
“Hezbollah’s actions are a threat to Lebanon,” Lapid said at the border. “We are not interested in an escalation of violence, but cannot accept Hezbollah’s actions, that can ignite the entire region at a time when Lebanon can begin to develop its energy resources,” he said, adding that Israel is prepared for any eventuality.
“Israel will continue to act against any Iranian terror proxy,” the prime minister said adding that the government will cooperate with other Mideast nations to prevent Iran’s efforts to destabilize the region.
Posted on July 27, 2022
Photo Credit: Abdallamagdy/commons.wikimedia.org
Photo License: Wikimedia
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. All other materials are property of Bridges for Peace. Copyright © 2022.
Website Site Design by J-Town Internet Services Ltd. - Based in Jerusalem and Serving the World.