Survivors of Deadly Terror Attack Declare: “We are a Walking Miracle”

January 10, 2019

by: Kate Norman

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Shira and Amichai Ish-Ran, survivors of a terrorist shooting, leave the hospital after a month long recovery.

Thursday, 10 January 2019 | A month after the terror attack that led to the premature birth and death of her baby, an Israeli woman left the hospital with the help of a walker, declaring, “I arrived at the hospital lying down, and I am leaving it on foot.”

Shira Ish-Ran left the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem on Wednesday alongside her husband, Amichai, who was walking on crutches after being shot three times in the leg during a terrorist shooting in Judea and Samaria.

“We are a walking miracle,” Shira said as a crowd of reporters in the room photographed the couples’ determined exit.

On December 9, seven Israelis were shot at a bus stop outside Ofra, including Shira, who was seven months pregnant at the time with a baby boy.

Shira was rushed to the hospital where surgeons delivered the baby in an emergency C-Section. Doctors at the neonatal intensive care unit fought for days to save the newborn, but his condition deteriorated until he died three days later.

A few days after the attack, Shira vowed from her hospital bed, “I will prove to them, I will show them. I will bring many more babies into this world. Am Yisrael chai [the nation of Israel lives].”

The night he died, the baby boy was named Amiad Yisrael (Amiad means “my nation is eternal”) at his funeral and was buried on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. His parents, still recovering from their wounds in the hospital, could not attend the funeral with their grieving family.

“During the three days our baby lived, he united us—secular, religious, ultra-Orthodox, right and left wing, who came to support us,” said Amichai Ish-Ran from the hospital a few days after the attack. “I’m proud to be part of this nation.”

The attack occurred on December 9, when a Palestinian car stopped in front of the bus stop and a terrorist opened fire on the people waiting outside. Security footage of the attack shows IDF (Israel Defense Forces) soldiers responding with fire before the car flees the scene.

While hundreds of people mourned Amiad Yisrael at the funeral in Jerusalem on the evening of December 12, Israeli security forces tracked down one of the perpetrators of the attack, Saleh Barghouti, north of Ramallah in Judea and Samaria. Barghouti was shot and killed as he attempted to harm the forces while evading arrest.

Security forces on Tuesday arrested Barghouti’s brother Assam, whom they confirmed was involved in the Ofra shooting as well as another attack three days later in which two IDF soldiers were killed and one was critically wounded.

The Barghouti brothers belong to the infamous Barghouti clan, which has significant Hamas and terrorist ties. Their uncle, Jassar Barghouti, is a senior Hamas member and the man the Palestinian Authority (PA) credits as the mastermind behind the multiple terrorist attacks in Judea and Samaria in December.

Speaking from the hospital after the attack, Amichai Ish-Ran said, “Our enemies can shoot us, stab us, run over us and hurl stones at us. They can murder us and our children, but they cannot break us. We won’t let them.”

Hamodia reported that Shira is moving to Hadassah Mount Scopus for rehabilitation.

As she left the Shaare Zedek Medical Center Wednesday, Shira thanked everyone for praying for them.

“We felt the prayers during our recovery,” she said. “We still have a road ahead of us, so keep praying.”

Posted on January 10, 2019

Source: (Bridges for Peace, January 10, 2019)

Photo Credit: Screenshot/YouTube/Jewish Life